Joyce Hinnefeld

Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The List, from the Piles, as Promised

So here it is, in completely random order--sorted only by genre--and without (much) commentary. I'll just note that some of the nonfiction here points to two things: a curricular focus on China at Moravian College, where I teach, this year, and the fact that my daughter Anna is on the cusp of adolescence.

Please remember that this is NOT a list of my favorite books, nor is it an official list of "recommended reading," as I haven't yet read the majority of these books. This is just a list of the books that are currently in piles around my house. In some of the piles, that is.

FICTION AND POETRY:
David Rhodes, Driftless
Adam Foulds, The Quickening Maze
Peter Geye, Safe from the Sea (fellow Unbridled author)
Christina Stead, When You Reach Me (this one because Anna loved it and wants me to read it)
Meredith Sue Willis, Out of the Mountains: Appalachian Stories
Elise Blackwell, The Unnatural History of Cypress Parish (another Unbridled author)
Sigrid Nunez, Salvation City
David Grossman, To the End of the Land
John Williams, Stoner
Tea Obreht, The Tiger's Wife
Li-Young Lee, Behind My Eyes: Poems
Kenneth Rexroth, One Hundred Poems from the Chinese
Lao-Tzu's Taoteching (tranlated by Red Pine)
Lee Upton, The Guide to the Flying Island (I've already read this gorgeous novella, but it's still in the pile because I just like to reread passages from it.)
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird (because I've been thinking about it lately; see blog post titled "Simple Heroes")

NONFICTION:
Rachel Simmons, The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence
Montaigne, Essays
Li-Young Lee, The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
Darin Strauss, Half a Life
Jay Varner, Nothing Left to Burn
Da Chen, Colors of the Mountain
Rob Gifford, China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power

And on order:
Danielle McGuire, At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance--A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power
Chu Chu Onwuachi-Saunders, M.D., Oops!


No comments:

Post a Comment